Alright ya'll it's official- I'm restarting my Pearl game and doing the Nuzlocke challenge! I'm really excited, but it's gonna take forever lmao.
Also I'm a wimp and this is my first nuzlocke so the rules are going to be less brutal than the professionals.
Rules will be as following:
- Any Pokémon that faints is considered dead, and must be released or put in the PC permanently.
- The player may only catch the first Pokémon encountered in each area, and none else. If the first Pokémon encountered faints, there are no second chances. However if it flees (I came up with this rule only because Abras and shit always flee on the first try), the player may try again. If the first encounter in the area is a Double Battle, the player may choose which of the two Pokémon they would like to catch. Another exception to this rule is when the Pokémon is a dupe (the player already owns the encountered Pokemon), in which they may try again until they encounter a different Pokémon.
- All Pokémon must be nicknamed for the sake of forming stronger emotional bonds.
- A blackout/white out is GAME OVER unless there are Pokémon left in the PC that haven't been "killed off" yet (i.e. they were sent to the PC because you had a full team, NOT because they passed out in battle.)
- Trading is not allowed (not even re-trading for leveling up), but the player can accept Pokémon that are received freely from NPCs.
- NO RELOADING OR RESETTING when things go wrong.
- Not officially enforcing the rules until the player has Poké Balls and can catch Pokémon. For example, in the games where the rival battle is immediately after getting the starter Pokémon, the "any that faint must be released" rule is not enforced at that time.
- Potions, healing items, and held items can be used, EXCEPT revives.
- I read on bulbapedia that a "mercy rule" exists, in which Pokémon get 1-3 chances after fainting, and I like that rule but I don't want it to be too easy. So, the mercy rule can only apply to ONE pokemon, ONCE throughout the entire game. Choose wisely.
- As another mercy rule, if the player encounters a shiny Pokémon but it's not the first encountered on a route, the player may catch it but cannot use it in the game, must send it to the PC. (I'm just gonna trade it to my other games lmao. Not missing out on a shiny, sorry I'm lame)
- If the player has no Pokémon that can use a certain field move that is required to continue through any given point of the game (cut, strength, etc), they may catch another Pokémon that can learn said field move. However, it cannot be used in battle for any reason, and must be released, permanently boxed, or migrated as soon as the player gets another Pokémon that can use said field move.